My Favorites

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Writing Ideas - Vampire Novel, part 150, methods Revelation Writing skills how to develop Storyline, Entertaining, Rising Action

7 September 2014, Writing Ideas - Vampire Novel, part 150, methods Revelation Writing skills how to develop Storyline, Entertaining, Rising Action

Announcement: We are in the countdown phase for the publication of my new novels.  The date on the internet is 1 September.  We will see how close we come, or if the publishers meet the deadline.  My Aegypt novels will be titled Ancient Light, and the next two books will be called Sister of Light  and  Sister of Darkness.  These were the original titles.  They will be released individually and as a 3 in 1 volume.  The proposed cover and info can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my newest novel, Valeska, is this: An agent of the organization becomes involved with a vampire girl during a mission, she becomes dependent on the agent, and she is redeemed.

Here is my proposed cover for Valeska:
I decided on a white cover style.  You can see more at www.GoddessofDarkness.com.

The purpose of a novel is to reveal the protagonist and usually the protagonist's helper, the author needs to place them in circumstance that allows them to reveal themselves.  The means can be conversation, exploration, discovery, other's conversation, confession, accidental discovery.

Let's look at the means of revelation and start with conversation.  I've mentioned this before, but this will give a basis for the other means of character revelation.  Conversation is the dialog between two or more characters in a novel.  I recommend using a two person conversation.  I have used three and more very effectively, but conversations generally devolve into two no matter the number of starting participants.  For general revelation, two is the best.  I have used three pretty effectively (maybe I should give examples).  In any case, to be most effective, the conversation should be controlled and paced.  Controlled means it should be constrained either forcibly or by some other means to allow the characters scope to communicate.  Arguments are no good--little truth comes out in an argument of any kind.  Confrontations are no good because there is always motivation for one character or the other to lie.  A constrained conversation is one where the readers know their are limits on the character's truth and know there are reasons for the characters to reveal something of the truth (about themselves).  It is important to note, a character can only reveal truth about themselves and not anything or anyone else. 

When setting up the "conversations" of your characters for the purpose of revelation, give them a reason to truly reveal themselves.  A confessional setting is good.  An introduction setting even better.  If there is no reason to hide the truth (for one reason or another) all the better.  For example, in Valeska, I have a very fun introductory session between the protagonist and another character.  I can really reveal a lot in this session about the other character.  The protagonist has lots to hide, the other character does too, but wants to impress the protagonist.  Because the scene is an introduction, information can flow despite the reticence of either character.  This would be a good example to share as well.  

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:
http://www.aegyptnovel.com/
http://www.centurionnovel.com
http://www.thesecondmission.com/
http://www.theendofhonor.com/
http://www.thefoxshonor.com
http://www.aseasonofhonor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment